I use a lot of Chicken stock in my kitchen. I have to agree with Ina Garten, if you can use homemade it is best. Not only is it best, it’s cheaper than store bought. You can use this recipe to make almost 2 gallons and it costs less than $7 ( What the what?!) I know right! Same amount in a store will cost you over $20
Take a day to make and freeze this stuff! It comes in so handy over the holidays, which is when I use the most!
Enjoy! I loves ya!
- 1 2-3 pound whole Chicken
- 1 large bunch green onions, left whole
- 6 large carrots, left whole
- 7 ribs of celery, left whole
- 3 teaspoons Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Salt or Season Salt
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 20 peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cans broth ( I use the cheap stuff, to just kick start the flavor)
- 2 1/2 gallons cold water
In a VERY large stock pot, add the chicken, veggies, herbs, salt, peppercorns, garlic and both. Then completely cover with water. it should be very full. Simmer slowly on med heat for about 5-6 hours… as it evaporates add water to keep it up level.
Turn the stock off after the time stated and allow to cool. Then strain it through a colander into a VERY large bowl. Discard chicken and veggies. Ladle into freezer containers and freeze for up to 5 months.
I really can not live without this stuff.