Happy Birthday to the Hubbyman!!! There is no better way to celebrate the hubbyman than by cooking him a steak. Any steak, cooked anyway with any sauce. Sides optional!
He is a meat and taters kinda feller… but he does have a sense of adventure when it comes to food…. except seafood… lets just not go there tonight… We have had Black and Blue burgers and steaks at restaurants from NC to CO and I had this idea…. I can do that!!! Really its easy and a fraction of the cost! The cost is a big deal to me… something about a meal that costs more than my electric bill that makes me a bit nauseous!
Here we go …..
2-3 ribeye steaks
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Salt and black
pepper to taste
3-4 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
For the compound
1 tablespoon each fresh minced thyme and garlic
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
1 shallot minced
1 container blue cheese
These are not my best photographs, this meal cooks fast and I only had 2 steaks… normally I have enough for the photos, but…. its steak. We didn’t need a third so I had to work fast, I didn’t want them getting cold…. not apologizing … just telling ya how it all went down ❤ hehe
Two hours before you plan to cook the steaks, make your compound butter but set your butter out in the morning….
Mince the garlic, shallots and thyme. Add to the soft butter and the blue cheese and combine with a fork. Place compound on a long piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Chill in fridge at least two hours and remove from fridge about 15 minutes prior to use.
I used black angus for this recipe, hence the BLACK in black and blue. Remove from package and season with salt and pepper. Then drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cover and chill for one hour and remove one hour prior to searing.
Time to put it all together…. remember it goes fast, you want it sizzling when you serve it.
- Cut the butter, about 3 pieces for each steak, more if you want it and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron skillet on high until starting to smoke.
- Add the steaks and sear on each side for about 4 minutes, more if you want it cooked more. Up to you …. I ain’t judging
- Once the second side has seared for 4 minutes flip once more and add the butter and blue cheese mix, remove from heat.
- Serve immediately !! Don’t wait, you want to deliver it to the table making all that sizzling “noise”
I served it with roasted garlic and thyme mushrooms … Yummy!