Okay, just for the record, this probably isn’t a dish you want to make for Valentine’s Day… for obvious reasons.
I have been eating french onion dip for as long as I can remember. I have bought it, and I have made it with those soup packets, you know the ones, but until a friend emailed this to me… I don’t think I even knew you could make it from scratch… yes this is me, admitting my kitchen ignorance…but fear not! I have been educated and I am sharing the knowledge with you …. yes yes, you are very welcome.
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large yellow onions chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 3/4 cups sour cream
- fresh or dried parsley for garnish
1. In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add onions, salt,
pepper, and cayenne.
Cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent, about 12 minutes. Reduce
heat to medium-low and continue cooking until onions are golden, around 15 minutes.
2. Add the broth to skillet and cook…until water is evaporated, about 5 to 10
Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Put onions in a bowl and allow cool to
3. Add sour cream to the onions and stir gently to combine.
Refrigerate for and hour or longer…
Sprinkle with parsley and serve